Welcome to the personal and professional website of Nicholas ( Nick ) Mattei.
Previously a Ph.D student at the University of Kentucky (UK) working with Prof. Judy Goldsmith on AI and Complexity Theory.
In the way olden days I worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) designing embedded hardware and software flight systems for nano-satellites.
In another life I drove trucks full of carnival prizes all over central Kentucky and Indiana … you don’t know fun till you’ve delivered several hundred pounds of stuffed animals to shooting booths at remote county fairs.
I can be reached at: Nicholas.<last-name>@nicta.com.au OR ns<last-lame>@gmail.com. Remember to substitute between the angle brackets!
Some photos from living upside down (turn monitor over for full effect).
Check out www.PrefLib.org for lots of great preference data and PrefLib-Tools on GitHub for more data wrangling tools. We also have had a great time with our Exploring Beyond the Worst Case in Computational Social Choice (EXPLORE) series held at AAMAS in 2014 and 2015.
- September 2015: I am now a Senior Researcher at NICTA/Data 61.
- August 2015: I’ll be giving an invited talk on ComSoc during the joint session of ADT 2015 and LPNMR 2015!
- July 2015: Along with Haris Aziz I’ll be giving a tutorial on Social Choice at the 28th Australian Joint Conference on AI in Canberra.
- June 2015: New paper Beyond Theory and Data in Preference Modeling: Bringing Humans into the Loop with Thomas E. Allen, Muye Chen, Judy Goldsmith, Anna Popova, Michel Regenwetter, Francesca Rossi, and Christopher Zwilling was accepted to ADT 2015.
- May 2015: I am now in charge of Public Relations for the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR).
- April 2015: New paper Who Is Watching You Eat? with Judy Goldsmith and Robert Sloan accepted to ACM:SIGAI AI Matters.
- March 2015: New paper Equilibria Under the Probabilistic Serial Rule with Haris Aziz, Serge Gaspers, Simon Mackenzie, Nina Narodytska, and Toby Walsh was accepted to IJCAI 2015.
- Feb. 2015: Our paper Teaching AI Ethics Using Science Fiction was picked up by a number of news outlets including The Guardian, The Register, and IO9 (as well as The Technology Review and Pressetext in German)!
- Jan. 2015: I had three papers accepted at AAMAS 2015! Thanks to my many wonderful co-authors. Please see the Publications page for more details.
- Jan. 2015: Along with Haris Aziz and Nina Narodytska I’ll be chairing the 2nd Workshop on Exploring Beyond the Worst Case in Computational Social Choice (EXPLORE 2015) at AAMAS 2015.
- Dec. 2014: Along with Erdem Esra I am organizing the joint Doctoral Consortium to be held at ADT 2015 and LPNMR 2015.
- Oct. 2014: I’m teaching COMP4418: Knowledge Representation and Reasoning at UNSW with Morri Pagnucco and Michael Thielscher.
- Sept. 2014: A big update over at the PrefLib site with more data and more tools!
- Aug. 2014: Haris Aziz and I will be giving a tutorial on Computational Social Choice December 1st at PRICAI 2014.