Welcome to the personal and professional website of Nicholas ( Nick ) Mattei.
I am currently a senior researcher working with Prof. Toby Walsh in the Decision Sciences group at Data61 (formerly known as the Optimisation Group at NICTA). I am also an adjunct lecturer in the School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) and member of the Algorithms Group at the University of New South Wales in beautiful Sydney, Australia.
Previously, I was a Ph.D student at the University of Kentucky (UK) working with Prof. Judy Goldsmith on AI and Complexity Theory.
In the way olden days I worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Ames Research Center designing embedded hardware and software flight systems for nano-satellites.
In another life I drove trucks full of carnival prizes all over central Kentucky and Indiana … you don’t know fun till you’ve delivered several hundred pounds of stuffed animals to shooting booths at remote county fairs.
I can be reached at: Nicholas.<last-name>@nicta.com.au OR ns<last-lame>@gmail.com. Remember to substitute between the angle brackets!
Some photos from living upside down (turn monitor over for full effect).
I am currently co-organizing the 3rd Workshop on Exploring Beyond the Worst Case in Computational Social Choice (EXPLORE) @ AAMAS 2016. I am also currently co-organizing the 10th Workshop on Advances in Preference Handling (MPREF) @ IJCAI 2016. Please submit your work to one, or both!
Check out www.PrefLib.org for lots of great preference data and PrefLib-Tools on GitHub for more data wrangling tools. We also have had a great time with our Exploring Beyond the Worst Case in Computational Social Choice (EXPLORE) series held at AAMAS in 2014, 2015, and (soon) 2016.
- December 2015: I am co-organizing the 10th MPREF Workshop at IJCAI 2016! Please submit your papers and we hope to see you in New York!
- November 2015: We’re putting on EXPLORE 2016 @ AAMAS 2016! Please submit your papers and we hope to see you in Singapore!
- November 2015: I have two papers accepted at AAAI 2016! Check out the Publications page for more details. Thanks to all my wonderful co-authors!
- September / October 2015: I’ll be giving a talk at Tulane University and the University of Texas at Austin.
- September 2015: I am now a Senior Researcher at NICTA/Data 61.
- August 2015: I’ll be giving an invited talk on ComSoc during the joint session of ADT 2015 and LPNMR 2015!
- July 2015: Along with Haris Aziz I’ll be giving a tutorial on Social Choice at the 28th Australian Joint Conference on AI in Canberra.
- June 2015: New paper Beyond Theory and Data in Preference Modeling: Bringing Humans into the Loop with Thomas E. Allen, Muye Chen, Judy Goldsmith, Anna Popova, Michel Regenwetter, Francesca Rossi, and Christopher Zwilling was accepted to ADT 2015.
- May 2015: I am now in charge of Public Relations for the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR).
- April 2015: New paper Who Is Watching You Eat? with Judy Goldsmith and Robert Sloan accepted to ACM:SIGAI AI Matters.
- March 2015: New paper Equilibria Under the Probabilistic Serial Rule with Haris Aziz, Serge Gaspers, Simon Mackenzie, Nina Narodytska, and Toby Walsh was accepted to IJCAI 2015.
- Feb. 2015: Our paper Teaching AI Ethics Using Science Fiction was picked up by a number of news outlets including The Guardian, The Register, and IO9 (as well as The Technology Review and Pressetext in German)!
- Jan. 2015: I had three papers accepted at AAMAS 2015! Thanks to my many wonderful co-authors. Please see the Publications page for more details.
- Jan. 2015: Along with Haris Aziz and Nina Narodytska I’ll be chairing the 2nd Workshop on Exploring Beyond the Worst Case in Computational Social Choice (EXPLORE 2015) at AAMAS 2015.
- Dec. 2014: Along with Erdem Esra I am organizing the joint ADT/LPNMR doctoral consortium to be held at ADT 2015 and LPNMR 2015.
- Oct. 2014: I’m teaching COMP4418: Knowledge Representation and Reasoning at UNSW with Morri Pagnucco and Michael Thielscher.
- Sept. 2014: A big update over at the PrefLib site with more data and more tools!
- Aug. 2014: Haris Aziz and I will be giving a tutorial on Computational Social Choice December 1st at PRICAI 2014.